Thursday, September 5, 2013

I Came Here Looking For A Fight

I leaned out of my bedroom window as I smoked, smiling slightly as the cool night air blew my hair out of my face, nipping at my bare shoulders. I mulled my plan over in my head, checking the time every so often as I waited for Maddie to get home from work. When it was five til the usual time she gets home, I decided to fix myself a line and inhale the white powder. Maddie walked in a few minutes later, and I gave her a big smile. "What?" She asked, slipping her shirt and jeans off, walking to our closet.
"Get dressed in something nice, we're going to a party." I filled her in vaguely on what I had planned for the evening and she changed into shorts and a loose sweater, tying her black boots up. Maddie shifted awkwardly from one leg to the other, and I knew she wanted a line but was too afraid to ask. Since she didn't do this often, I fixed her a small line, handing her a blue plastic straw, and she quickly inhaled and stepped back. She was cursing under her breath as she held her nose and squeezed her eyes shut tightly. I laughed and grabbed my black leather jacket, slipping it on over my muscle tee and sliding my feet into my black boots, not bothering to tie them up. I fixed my jean shorts before leading Maddie out of our shared bedroom, through the living room, and out of the house.
"Where is this party even at?" She asked, crossing her arms as she walked beside me. I didn't answer, I just continued to lead her in the general direction of the party, feeling the coke start to kick in as I walked. I heard the party before I saw it, walking down the streets that curved around the big houses. There were cars lining the sides of the street, mostly mustangs, and I recognized a few of them. "Bre, we really shouldn't do this." I tuned Maddie out, rolling my eyes at her and walking up the sidewalk and to the open front door.
"Come on, we don't have all night." I sighed, grabbing her arm and pulling her into the house with me. We went unnoticed for a while, until a few of the Soc guys pointed us out, causing a scene. I saw someone pushing through the crowd, and then I was face to face with Bob Sheldon and some bleach blonde Soc girl that I recognized from school.
"What are you two whores doing here?" Bob spit the words at us, and it would have hurt, if I hadn't been so fucking numb already. I smirked, taking a step towards him. I saw his eyes darken with rage, and I couldn't help but laugh at him. He reached up, slapping me across the face. It didn't even sting, and I felt a rush of adrenaline, causing me to laugh again. This time, Bob took a fistful of my hair, pulling my head back and tugging hard, causing me to fall to the floor. I was doubled over, only I was laughing, I couldn't seem to stop, and Bob just kept getting angrier. "I'll take care of her, everyone get back to the party." He grabbed me by the back of my jacket, dragging me outside and to the front yard. "You know what I want to know?" He asked, pushing me so that I was a few feet away from him.
"What's that?" I giggled, watching his face contort into a scowl as he stepped towards me and grabbed my hair in his hand again, pulling my head back. "Laugh at me again and see what happens." He spat, and I heard the familiar click of a blade, smiling to myself.
"We both know you don't have the balls to do that, Bobbie. You act all tough in front of your buddies," My eyes flicked over to the few guys that came out to see what Bob would do, along with Maddie. "But you really can't do it. You don't have the guts, Sheldon." I laughed again, feeling the blade press against my throat.
"You really think I won't?" Bob hissed in my ear, putting pressure on the blade as he slowly slid it across my neck. I felt warm blood trickle down my neck, but we both know the cut wasn't deep enough. I heard Maddie scream as Bob pushed me away. "Get the hell out of here, you crazy bitch." He spat, turning around and walking back inside with his friends.
"Bre! We need to get you to a hospital." Maddie was shaking as she came over to me, putting her hands on my cheeks. I shook her off, starting to walk back to the right side of town.
"I'm fine, don't worry about me." Blackness tinted the edge of my vision, and I knew that I wasn't okay. We were almost home when we ran into someone on the sidewalk, and I quickly recognized the red-orange hair that belonged to Kyle Brumley.
"Bre? Maddie?" Kyle asked, walking up to us. He had a smile on his face, but it quickly faded when he saw the blood on my neck. "What the hell happened to you?" Worry tinged his voice, and I shook my head, starting to feel dizzy. Maddie filled him in on my suicide mission that obviously failed, and he ran a hand through his hair, putting his other hand on my shoulder. "I'll take you home, get you all bandaged up, just so I know you're okay."
"I can make it home from here, you guys can go ahead." Maddie waved as she walked away, leaving me with Kyle.
We walked back to his house in silence, and I ran a hand through my hair as we walked through the front door. He led me to his bedroom, ignoring the questioning looks from his brothers. He ordered me to sit on the bed, and I did, but only because I was dizzy and tired. He got some stuff to clean my wound, murmuring under his breath about how I was stupid for going to that party, and how I should think about things and people before I try to get myself killed again. "How do you think I would have felt, Bre?" He asked, putting the supplies away after my wound was cleaned. "If I just found out that you were dead, because of a Soc? How do you think the gang would have felt?"
"I don't know. I just assumed no one would mind much." I shrugged, crawling backwards so that I was laying on my back. Kyle joined me, laying on his side next to me, wrapping his arm around my torso and pulling me close. He kissed my forehead, burying his face in my hair.
"That's not true, Bre. People love you. People care about you." He sighed, pulling the covers over us. "We'll talk in the morning, go to sleep, love." And I did just that.

xox Bre

2 comments:

  1. You Think Those Socs Would Know Some Of The Basic Manners, Like Never Laying There Hands On A Girl. Guess You Can't Expect Much From Them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY!!! WHAT ABOUT ME??? YA KNOW...SODAPOP CURTIS??? I THOUGHT WHAT WE HAD WAS SPECIAL? D:

    ReplyDelete